If you are a small business owner, it is important for you to save money whenever and wherever you can. Small bills can add up to large expenses and before you know it, they are consuming your budget that could be spent on gaining you more business! From a technology standpoint, there are several ways that you can cut corners without cutting back on the quality you deliver. While this list is directed to the small business owner, it can also be applied to your own home. These methods are just simple ways to save money. Please share them with your friends, business associates, or family and please let us know if there are other ways to be cost effective in your business! Read more...
Categories: Business, Home and Living Tags: Anti-virus software, Apple Computers, apple macbook, business, desktops, gimp, Laptops, Macbook, Macs, magic jack, microsoft, Microsoft Office, microsoft small business, open office, peripherals, printers, saving money, skype, small business, Verizon, voip, vonage
Everybody likes something free, but no one wants something they don't need. These are programs you can't live without. No matter what you do on your computer, you can use these programs.
1. Mozilla products (Web Browser and Email software): I am putting this into an umbrella because I can go on and on about the usefulness of Mozilla's products. Firefox is their free web browser that is (a) safer than Internet Explorer and is easier to use. Viruses don't hit this browser as badly as IE and installing it is s0 easy an 80 year old can do it. Along with Firefox, make sure you install their email client, Thunderbird, as well.
2. Open Office (Office Suite software) : This is the MS Office of the common folk. With Open Office, you can save your files as a Word Document, build an xls spreadsheet, put up a powerpoint presentation or build an "access" database. Also, what is another great feature is that you can save all of these into a PDF file for easy email. I highly recommend this program to anyone and everyone.
3. ClamWin (anti-virus software): Who wants those pesky viruses or malware bombarding your computer? The problem is, coughing up your money to Norton or PC-cillian every year. Keep your money with this free anti-virus software. ClamWin provides up-to-date computer protection for free!
4. Eraser (Data Deletion): Are you worried about protecting your data after your computer has worn out its usefulness? Do you fear that someone is going to find that super-secret hidden bank file or password collection that you so cleverly hid? Never fear, here is Eraser! This is the same software utility the government uses to wipe out hard drives when they are afraid the press might find out something important!
5. Gimp (Graphic manipulation software): You always hear about people "photoshopping" an image, but then you go to look at the price tag and realize how can they afford it? While Photoshop is expensive, you can get your graphics fix with Gimp - an open source graphics software that is easy-to-use and allows the casual user to do so much more with their images and creations.
Everyone likes Microsoft Office, but the price tag can be a little steep. Why not get it for FREE? Check out these online applications and software that you can safely download to your computer (or use online) to give you the similar power to that of Microsoft Office!