5 Movies Sean Bean DOESN’T Die In…
It is a well-known internet joke that the actor Sean Bean dies in just about every movie he is in. In fact, you are far more likely to have Sean Bean die violently in front of you than you are to be attacked by a shark. From his death as Boromir in The Fellowship of the Ring to having cows fall on him in the movie, The Field, Bean has been stabbed, shot, decapitated, electrocuted, drowned, crushed, buried alive, and hanged twenty-four different times! If there is a way to die, it has happened to this guy. One might think that death is in his contract when signing up for a role, but I have found five movies Sean Bean doesn't die in. Actually, there probably is a sequel in the making that will have him killed off later, but that will wait to be seen...
This is the Brad Pitt extravaganza that had an all star cast and plenty of violence. Now typically, whenever there is a sword, a spear, or a bow and arrow around Sean Bean, it is almost guaranteed to have his name on it. In this movie, he is cast as Odysseus (you might know him Ulysses) and they couldn't write a death scene specifically for him since Homer had other plans for this Greek king. Bean may have lived, but just about every other main character dies. Maybe it is a disease...
This year was a good time for Sean Bean. Here we have another film that the actor survived. In actuality, he only lived through this Disney movie because they re-wrote the ending. In the original film, Bean's character, Ian Howe, was supposed to - get this - BE EATEN BY ALLIGATORS IN THE SUBWAYS OF NEW YORK! Obviously, the directors even saw this as a bit too much irony for the actor and let him be arrested by the FBI instead. That's what you get for stealing the Declaration of Independence...
PERCY JACKSON & THE OLYMPIANS (2010)
All right. It would have been hard to kill off Sean Bean in this film. He plays Zeus, the king of the Greek gods. You can't kill Zeus. Bean must have jumped at the chance to be in this film. It was a full-proof win-win plan for him and there will most likely be sequels. In fact, the next film, Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters is due out in 2013 and Bean is set to reprise his role. Who knows, though? Maybe they can kill off the Greek deity in this film.
I have a theory about this film. With all of the big name stars in this action film (Robert de Niro, Jean Reno, Stellan Skarsgård, and Natascha McElhone), the director actually forgot that Sean Bean was in this film. His character, Spence, is shown to be a fraud in the company of CIA and other secret agents and amazingly, not killed. They just dismiss him and tell him he can't be a part of the murder and mayhem. That may have been worse than being killed!
Well, this is a children's book so you really couldn't expect him to die in this movie, could you? Bean plays Farmer Grey in the film. He is first owner of the horse, Black Beauty, and trains her. It was a safe part. Bean only had to worry about Black Beauty falling on him (which, let's face it - could have happened!). By the time the credits roll, Bean is still breathing.
OTHER FILMS SEAN BEAN DIES IN:
- Airborne (1998) - Shot in the head.
- Black Death (2010) - Pulled apart by horses.
- Ca$h (2010) - Shot in the head while driving.
- Caravaggio (1986) - Throat slashed.
- Clarissa (1991) - Stabbed.
- Don't Say a Word (2001) - Buried alive.
- Equilibrium (2002) - Shot by Christian Bale while reading Yeats.
- Essex Boys (2000)- Run over by a Range Rover
- Far North (2007) - Frozen. Naked. In the snow.
- The Field (1990) - Death by Cow. He falls over a cliff, pursued by a herd of stampeding cows
- Game of Thrones (2010) - Plain, ol' beheading.
- GoldenEye (1995) - Ccrushed by a satellite dish.
- Henry VIII (2003) - Drawing and quartering (like Braveheart).
- The Island (2005) - Death by hanging from a clone.
- The Lord of the Rings (2001) Death by Orc. Shot to death with arrows.
- Lorna Doone (1990) - Drowns.
- Outlaw (2007) - Shot to death.
- Patriot Games (1992) - Beaten and blown up by Indiana Jones.
- Red Riding: In the Year of Our Lord 1974 (2009) - Shot on a couch.
- Scarlett (1994) - Stabbed in his sleep.
- Tell Me That You Love Me (TV 1991) - Stabbed again.
- The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion (2006) - Death by summoning a god's avatar.
- The Hitcher (2007) - Shot in the head by a shotgun.
- War Requiem (1989) - Bayonetted. But he gets better...